Curated Paper 1
Health and illness are the result of the relationships that exist between various parts of the body and a person's everyday life. When I previously considered Ayurveda, I accepted its broad idea that the body, the mind, one's way of life, and the environment are all connected. Looking at metabolism, diabetes, and the microbiome has provided me with more particular methods for looking at these connections. At the same time, these subjects have led me to doubt whether the concept of 'balance' is a clear enough description of health. Precisely what needs to be balanced and how can we tell when that balance has in fact been reached? After bringing my thoughts together, I conclude that an interconnected approach to health is helpful, but it must be backed by specific biological mechanisms and by consideration of individual circumstances.
I was interested in the holistic approach of Ayurveda since I had always held the view that physical and mental health affect one another. Severe stress may lead to physical issues and a physical illness can in turn affect a person's mental state. To me, taking these interrelationships into account is reasonable. Yet, the fact that there is a connection between the mind and the body does not imply that all diseases can be accounted for by emotional distress or by lifestyle choices. It is possible for a person to be mentally healthy yet still have metabolic problems, some of which may be due to genetic factors. Although connections are important, their role may vary from person to person.
That is the reason why, to me, the term "balance" now seems too vague when used alone. It doesn't clearly show which processes are working correctly and which have altered. The aspects of a person's mental health, glucose regulation, and microbial function cannot all be regarded as belonging to a single condition. The issue I have is not with evaluating these factors together, but with supposing that a general statement can account for the details. It is exactly the complexity of disease that appeals to me. Various mechanisms can interact, and in order to understand them a close examination from several different points of view is required.
In the reflection I wrote on Ayurveda, I also separated its general approach from the particular treatments it offers. I can see the value of the emphasis it places on lifestyle and the individual as a whole, even though I remain wary of the idea that natural treatments are always superior. It is possible for someone to put their trust solely in natural cures and thus postpone essential medical treatment. The fact that this point resonated with my later journal entries helped me to realise that a wide-ranging view of health and a careful assessment of the evidence should go hand in hand. Looking at more aspects of a patient's life does not take away the need to decide whether a treatment is effective.
Metabolism served as a clear illustration of the importance of certain mechanisms. Catabolic pathways involve the breakdown of molecules to release energy that can be used, whereas anabolic pathways consume energy in order to build molecules. Glycolysis, the Krebs cycle, oxidative phosphorylation, and gluconeogenesis are examples of pathways that help to show how the body breaks down nutrients and provides fuel. Because of these processes the concept of internal regulation became more specific; rather than just saying the body is balanced or unbalanced, I could begin to ask how energy is obtained, how glucose is regulated, and what occurs when those processes fail to work properly and effectively.
It was diabetes that gave these questions significance. When a person has eaten, insulin causes the tissues to take up glucose and at the same time reduces the amount of glucose that the liver produces. Moreover, insulin signalling causes GLUT4 transporters to be brought to the membranes of muscle and fat cells. While fasting, the liver releases glucose in order to keep blood glucose levels stable. Type 1 diabetes involves the autoimmune destruction of the pancreatic beta cells, while type 2 diabetes involves insulin resistance and a decrease in insulin secretion. The fact that there are these differences shows that diabetes is far more complex than just having an excess of sugar in the blood; it is important to know what specific disruption is present since a general remark about an imbalance does not explain how the disease develops.
The microbiome contributes another aspect to this situation. When I was keeping a microbiome journal, I discovered that microorganisms aid in digestion, metabolism, immune function, and communication between the gut and the brain. The effect of food on the body can be seen both in the nutrients we take in and in the actions of our microbes. For instance, microbial fermentation leads to the production of short-chain fatty acids such as butyrate, which provides energy for the intestinal epithelial cells. As a result, I was able to see a more concrete way of linking nutrition with the notion that health relies on the interactions between various systems.
At the same time, the microbiome helped me to focus on individual differences. Not everyone has the same microbial communities and it doesn't follow that variation must mean someone has a disease. Just as important as the kinds of organisms present is the function of the microbes. Although it is interesting to find associations between microbial differences and conditions like obesity or insulin resistance, such an association does not prove whether those differences cause disease, are a result of disease, or interact with other factors. In a similar way, the findings from germ-free animals cannot be simply transferred to humans. Because of these limitations, I am careful not to assume that one microbial pattern or intervention will mean the same thing to all people.
The fact that the gut-and-brain connection was discussed also provided a biological basis for the mind-body connection which interested me in Ayurveda. The communication between the gut and the brain takes place via neural, hormonal, and immunological pathways. While this reinforces the idea of looking at physical and mental health as a pair, it does not prove that Ayurvedic ideas or any specific treatments have been scientifically validated. As a result of bringing these two areas together, I gained a more specific understanding of what a holistic approach entails: it should prompt us to look at the connections in question while at the same time being careful about what the evidence actually shows.
My metabolism journaling also broadened my view outside biological processes. Parker et al. (2024) estimated that the cost of diagnosed diabetes to the United States in 2022 was $412.9 billion, this amount comprising $306.6 billion in direct medical expenses and $106.3 billion in indirect costs. The indirect costs involved losses due to disability, reduced productivity, and early death. This demonstrated that the effects of diabetes extend to families, workplaces, and society as well as to the individual body. The study also posed a question which I had not before given any serious thought to: what occurs when a person needs treatment but their situation makes it hard to get or keep that treatment?
When I was growing up in South Korea, I never regarded treatment costs as a major obstacle in the same way. That view was due to my familiarity with the Korean health insurance system, even though my own experience doesn't prove that everybody can get medical care without difficulty. It became clearer to me through the nutrition classes and this capstone course in the United States that financial situations can be another barrier to managing a disease. It was disappointing to realize that knowing what would be helpful doesn't mean that a person can afford it or that they can fit it into their daily routine. This realization also made me interested in the roles that different health professionals and community services play in helping to ensure access to care.
Combining this social viewpoint with metabolism and the microbiome has altered the way I consider nutritional advice. Although diet has a biological impact, a person's choice of food also depends on their income, work schedule, the circumstances of their household, and the resources that are available to them. If someone is unable to adhere to a recommended eating pattern they should not be seen as lacking motivation. Knowing what food does within the body is only one aspect of the question; we must also take into account what the individual can actually obtain and prepare.
Since I intend to become a physician, I would like to look at a patient's nutritional state in conjunction with their economic situation and their daily routine. To do this, I would find out what they usually eat, how their schedule influences their meals, and what kind of home circumstances they have. From these answers I could work out the conditions under which a treatment plan would have to function. In the case of difficulties caused by cost or access, I would aim at arranging community support, identifying any available assistance, and finding more affordable ways of making dietary changes. I have also come across such possibilities in my nutrition classes, and this shows how scientific knowledge can be combined with practical support.
To sum up, these reflections have served to deepen my interest in the complexity of disease. Ayurveda enabled me to think about health in a connected way, metabolism explained the importance of particular physiological mechanisms, and the microbiome caused me to discover more relationships and uncertainties. When I learned about the costs of diabetes, this broadened my perspective to include the conditions that affect a person's ability to manage their illness. I realised that in order to take a holistic view of a person it is necessary to have both a detailed knowledge of the biology and an understanding of practical matters. Instead of merely stopping with the idea of 'balance', I now wish to find out what is actually happening, identify which factors are relevant for this individual, and determine what sort of support would make care possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment